When you have a pet as cute as a hamster, it’s only natural you want to spoil it a bit.
However, when I got my Syrian, Mr. Bubbles, I simply got overwhelmed by all the options out there…
… and I ended up buying stuff that seemed like a great idea, but in the end, Mr. Bubbles didn’t play with it.
Looking back, I made some horrible mistakes in buying hamster toys and hamster accessories – mistakes I don’t want you to make.
So in the article today, we give you all the answers when it comes to hamster toys as we review the 7 best hamster cage accessories that you need to spoil your hammy.
- Best Hamster Toys: Wooden Bridge (for exploring and gnawing)
- Best Hamster Chew Toys for Teeth
- Best Hamster Huts (to hide and snuggle in)
- Best Hamster Playpen (for keeping your hamster safe)
- Best Wooden Tunnels to explore
- Best Hamster Wheels for running
- Best Hamster Balls (to explore the house)
Best hamster toys: Wooden Bridge for exploring and gnawing
One of our favorite hamster toys is without a doubt this small flexible wooden bridge (click to see the price on Amazon).
The reason we love these is you can bend them to make any shape which your hamster will love.
- Bendable, made of wooden sticks.
- Can be attached in different shapes.
- Suitable for chewing and climbing.
- A habitat for hamster, mouse and rat.
- Increase pet exercise.
Further, as it’s made out of wood, your hamster can chew on it – but don’t worry, it can chew on these for many months before the wood spoils!
We recommend getting a few of these. This ensures you can always alter the look of the cage which will stimulate the curiosity of your hamster.
These wooden bridges work great for both Syrian and Dwarf Hamsters.
Best Hamster Chew Toys for Teeth
Hamsters are rodents which means their teeth are always growing. As such, they need some good chew toys to keep their ever-growing teeth in check.
For that, wooden hamster toys are an ideal solution, however, you can’t just pick any wood – you need to make sure it is pesticide and chemical free.
That is exactly what this knibbler wooden toy does and with lots of surface area to explore, it is perfect for both Syrian and Dwarf Hamsters. Here are the highlights:
- Safe wood toy colored with natural vegetable dyes
- Many different surfaces to chew and gnaw
- Made for hamsters
- Safe wood chew toy satisfies your pets need to chew and gnaw
- All wood construction colored with safe natural vegetable dyes
- Encourages healthy playing and chewing
- 4" long, 4" wide, 3.25" high
- For rabbits, guinea pigs, chinchillas, pet rats, or other small animals
Best Hamster Huts to hide and snuggle in
Hamsters love to have little sleeping areas in their cage, so if you haven’t already, you should definitely get a hamster hideout where it can feel safe and protected.
For that, we especially love the NiteangeL Natural Living Tunnel System which is not only a fantastic hut but also a fantastic tunnel system for your hamster.
- Two storeys house.
- Tower, tunnel and various climbing opportunities.
- Natural wood design.
- Ideal house for mice and hamster.
- Entertainment center of small animals.
And as such it serves a double purpose as your hammy will also love to explore these tunnels.
And don’t worry if you have a Syrian Hamster – it is big enough for both Syrian and Dwarf Hamsters!
Best Hamster Playpen for keeping your hamster safe
Whenever you need to clean the hamster cage, or you just want to get your hammy out of its cage, a playpen is a great solution.
Serving as a fence, it allows for the hamster to safely explore your house to peak its curiosity.
There are many playpen options out there, however, some of them are not very stable or have bars that are too wide apart meaning your hamster can squeeze through them.
To avoid any of these ails, we recommend the Prevue Multi-Color Small Pet Playpen (click here to see the price on Amazon).
- 9 panels each. Wire spacing : 3/8
- 13" long by 9" high panels create a 36" Diameter play area
- Ideal for Hamsters, mice, Gerbils or other small animals
With its 9 panels that are all 9 inches tall, you are sure your hamster won’t escape. And with those panels being 13 inches long, it creates a total play area for your hamster of 36 inches in diameter.
Or in other words, a very nice and safe play area.
Best Wooden Tunnels to explore
In the wild, hamsters bury deep underground where they have their little hideouts.
To mimic that behavior in their cage, you should have some wooden tunnels they can explore.
Besides the mimicking, wooden tunnels also serve as great way to explore the cage.
And finally, hamsters love to hide in enclosed areas. We have had great experiences with these wooden tunnels (click to see the price on Amazon).
- Natural wood.
- An interesting toy with small animals.
- It's suitable for hamsters and mice.
- 9 entrances(exits).
- Size: 7.9"x2.8"x2.8" (20x7x7cm)
If you want some variety or something that the kids will love, we also really like this little train design (click to see the price on Amazon).
One or two of these in the cage will give your hamster a lot of ground to play on.
Best Hamster Wheels for running
If you don’t have one already you should go out and get a hamster wheel right now.
And even if you already have one, we just want you to read the next paragraph to ensure, your hamster has a wheel that is not unsafe for it to use.
So, what do you want in a wheel?
For us, it means saying yes to the following:
- Large enough so your hamster doesn’t run with an arched back
- Is silent to keep both hamster and owner sane
- Is made of high-quality material
- Nowhere for your hamster to get stuck or entangled
There are few wheels, where we can say yes to all of the above. However, we have found three presented below, that works great for all kind of hamsters (i.e. big enough for both Syrian and Dwarf Hamsters)
Best Hamster Balls to explore the house
If you are not into a playpen, it’s a great idea to get a hamster ball.
Why, you ask?
Because it allows the hamster to explore the entirety of your hamster from a safe hiding place.
And in addition, hamster balls double as a great option for keeping your hamster safe while you clean its cage.
Now, which hamster ball to get depends on whether you have a large Syrian Hamster or you have a Dwarf Hamster.
For Syrian Hamsters, we recommend the Kaytee Giant 11 1/2-Inch Exercise Ball (click here to see the price on Amazon). While marketed for chinchillas, it also works great as a hamster ball.
- Encourage healthy exercise in a secure and safe way
- Makes a great temporary holding area to keep your furry friend while you clean their home
- Provides interactive fun for the pet and the pet owner
- 11.5" diameter
- For pet rats, chinchillas or other small animals
For the smaller Dwarf Hamsters, you can’t go wrong with the 5-Inch Clear Mini Exercise Ball (click here to see the price on Amazon).
- Ribs inside to provide better gripping power for pets
- Ideal for dwarf hamsters and pet mice
- Size: 4-3/4-inch diameter dwarf, clear, made of shatter-resistant plastic