In the article today, we show you how to get the right kind of guinea pig bedding which will keep your cage odor free and provide a comfortable surface for your guinea pigs.
In the article, we will cover both fleece-based bedding, paper-based bedding and wood bedding (which is not recommended). Here are the highlights:
- Fleece-based bedding: More expensive up-front but also washable and cheaper in the long run. Comes with a variety of patterns and colors providing many options for decorating the cage.
- Paper-based bedding: Is removable and you can thus skip washing the bedding, as you need when using fleece-based bedding. Less expensive but will cost more in the long run.
In this article, we will start by providing guinea pig safe fleece bedding before we move to paper-based bedding (that is just as safe).
At the end of the article, we’ll describe why you should no longer use wood-based bedding.
Guinea Pig Fleece Bedding
Using fleece bedding for guinea pigs is still a pretty new phenomenon but one that is quickly rising in popularity. The main reasons are the following:
- Colorful material with many patterns you can choose from. It looks adorable
- Soft material which provides for a comfortable sleep for your guinea pig
- Very absorbent and will easily contain fluids for a week, providing great odor control
- A material we understand as humans. The guinea pigs look more comfortable in it
- It will likely require more up-front investment but over the long term, it is cheaper than using paper-based bedding
If you have decided to go with fleece bedding, we think that’s a good choice. Below, we have hand-picked fleece bedding that is properly treated to maintain odor.
There are quite a few designs to pick on each of the beddings so even if the pattern is not right for you, click on it to see if there are others you might like.
Best Paper Bedding For Guinea Pigs
If you do decide to go with disposable guinea ped bedding, there is absolutely no doubt you should choose paper-based bedding and not wood-based bedding.
The Paper-based bedding we recommend offers many of the qualities of fleece-based bedding including:
- Great odor control and very absorbent
- Soft and comfortable
- Comes in many colors so you can customize the look of the cage
- Safe for the feet of your guinea pig
As such, it is a matter of taste whether you go with paper-based bedding or fleece-based bedding. If you decide to go with paper-based bedding, we have hand-picked the best bedding for you (and your guinea pig) below.
Small Pet Select Premium Soft Paper Bedding
If you decide to go with paper-based bedding, the small pet premium soft paper bedding is a great choice.
While it might look like wood, just looking at the pictures it is indeed made of unbleached paper.
The 178L bag makes it last for a very long time and is thus one of the best value buys you can make when it comes to paper-based bedding.
- Ideal Bedding For Rabbits and Guinea Pigs
- 100% Safe - Made In The USA Without Any Harmful Chemicals Additives
- Soft + Comfortable for Your Bunnies and Guinea Pigs, But Still Super Absorbent
- Each Bag Expands 3X In Volume From It's Packaged Size
- Made From Pure Unbleached Never Been Printed Paper
Carefresh Complete Pet Bedding
If you are looking for a more premium option and with more of a paper-based look to it, the Carefresh Complete Pet Bedding is a good choice.
Besides great odor control, it is also pleasant on the eye with a neutral and comfortable color.
- 10-Day odor control
- 3X more absorbent than shavings
- 99% dust free for easy clean-up
- Note: Unit is 25.7 liter compressed and expands to 60 liters
Healthy Pet HPCC Natural Bedding, 60-Liter
As an “in-between” alternative to the two other, we have the Healthy Pet HPCC Natural Bedding.
This expands to about 2.5x its stated size and the 60-liter version does become roughly a 150-liter version when unpacked.
It is thus a great option value when it comes to paper-based guinea pig bedding.
- Absorbs 3X its weight
- Long lasting odor control
- Expands to 2X its volume
Types of Guinea Pig Bedding
Historically there have been 3 types of guinea pig bedding. Wood, paper and fleece.
Wood guinea pig shavings
For many years, wood was the preferred bedding option when housing small animals.
However, times have progressed, and you should not use wood shavings for guinea pig bedding. Here are the reasons:
- Many types of wood contain oils that can make your guinea pigs sick and unwell
- Wood is not very absorbent and lacks the odor control that other bedding material offers
- Can be sharp which can hurt your guinea pig
Overall, there are no good arguments for using wood guinea pig shavings and a lot of arguments against. That is why we recommend going with either fleece bedding or paper-based bedding.